- It's written by a woman, and written well. Woohoo! Go Mindy!
- Mindy, as the lead, is a woman, minority, thirtysomething, and a doctor. Um, hello? She's awesome! It's not reality TV. It's not an overprivileged high schooler reboot pilot. She's not a stereotypical rom-com unlucky-in-love gal. She's a kickass woman who just happens to suck at the love game.
- All of the pop culture references... it's like Gilmore Girls grew up, and I own that entire series. Seriously, I eat it all up. She speaks the way that real people speak, in a celeb-obsessed culture language I understand.
- She does normal things, albeit hilariously and over the top. She has friends with kids, she goes out on her nights off, she cares about her outfits, and she has pals at work and away from work. She also has a soft side that peeks out. Normality, at a sitcom kind of level.
- It's not annoying. I couldn't watch The New Girl because it was ridiculous. I quit watching The Real Housewives because they were so unrealistic. Mindy writes from life, and you can just tell it comes from a real place, with a bit of creative license.
I just RELATE. I will be tuning in every week, starting September 25th! I was worried about the fate of TV when I read my beloved series The Office and Parks & Recreation are ending in the not-so-distant future. But now I can rest assured... I've got Mindy.