Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend

Trolley Tour
For this 4th of July weekend, my family came to visit!  AW arrived first, and it's been almost a week of reunion.

THURSDAY:  I had to work, then AW and I went to a work dinner at Sunbury Crab Company.  We got attacked by mosquitoes, but the atmosphere was just quintessential Coastal Georgia!  It was so pretty right along the water and the marshes.  Then we got some Baskin Robbins ice cream in a favorite childhood flavor (Daiquiri Ice!) and headed home.

FRIDAY:  For dinner, we headed to downtown Savannah to try out a restaurant I've been eyeing for a long time... Vic's on the River.  We started with fried green tomatoes (amazing!) and drinks, then devoured our meals.  I had the crab cakes and macaroni and cheese, which were delicious.  The portion sizes were good, and it was an enjoyable meal with a great atmosphere on the river.  For dessert, we strolled through City Market then over to Lulu's Chocolate Bar, getting some delicious treats to-go before heading home.

Davenport House
SATURDAY:  Mom and Dad finished up their road trip to join us for the holiday.  We grabbed lunch at Chili's then spent some time just hanging out at the house!  Everyone took a nap.  Then we headed out to the movies to watch Transformers 3.  It was a very long movie, but full of action.  Not bad for a summer flick.

SUNDAY:  We spent most of the day in Savannah, doing an Old Savannah Historic Trolley Tour, then eating a delicious lunch at Mellow Mushroom.  Then we toured Davenport House, walked to River Street for some Savannah Candy Kitchen goodies (Dad and AW always get saltwater taffy!), then headed to Fort Stewart for its Salute to the Nation.

MONDAY:  We spent the day at home, and Mom/Dad helped me around the house with some things.  We then had an early dinner at Applebee's and went back to Fort Stewart for the free Fantasia/Zac Brown Band concert and fireworks.  It was crowded, but a great show!  I think we all had fun.
4th of July

TUESDAY:  Mom and Dad headed home bright and early, and AW/I headed to Tybee Island to have some photos taken.  Then we went straight downtown and toured Mercer-Williams House, had lunch at Panera, and walked around Broughton Street.  Then it was off to the airport, where I dropped off my last houseguest!

Ben Franklin famously said that fish and visitors smell after three days.  My houseguests are all gone, and I'm missing the smell!  No matter what, I always enjoy seeing my family, and when they're gone I realize all too keenly just how much I miss their everyday presence in my life.   I'm blessed to have two amazingly supportive parents, a great little sister, and an overall awesome family.  :)

And now... back to the grind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...